Wednesday, December 1, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things

It's 10pm on Wednesday December 1, 2010.  I have just turned off the TV and am sitting, alone, in silence. 

Usually I would be looking for something to watch on my itunes or on netflix.com but I'm using this time to reflect on the past week of my life. 

One week ago today I was so excited because it was going to be a half day at work, followed by a work luncheon at TGI Fridays and then an empty house for 4 days!!  

I was able to go to work and lunch with my friends/co-workers and then I came home and let my dog out to go potty and then I went and saw the movie 'Love and other drugs'.  Soo good!   I'm now a huge Jake Gylenhall fan.  While I was at the movie Holly (my boss' wife) called and invited me over to their house for Thanksgiving if my family was out of town.  Initially I didn't want to impose on anyone and I was planning on being totally content with being alone on Thanksgiving but when she text me later that night with the invitation I couldn't say no.  I graciously accepted the offer and inquired as to what I would be able to bring.  Which the answer to that inquiry was: salad.  It didn't matter what kind...it could be green, potato, pasta whatever my little heart desired.  So, I went to the store.  I went and bought copious amounts of potatoes, eggs, cool whip, jello mix, marshmallows, and cottage cheese.  When I got home I spent hours making a potato salad and what my family likes to call 'Whip Salad'. I fell asleep after everything was semi-done. 

Thursday, Thanksgiving, arrived and I got up and showered and put the finishing touches on the potato and 'whip' salads and got in my car.  I spent a fabulous Thanksgiving dinner with my friends, The Steeds, whom are also my employers.  I'm so thankful that they love me and I love them.  We ate turkey, mashed potatoes, whip salad, potato salad, corn, rolls etc... I told them that my folks were in Utah and that my Grandma Wanda wasn't doing well.  Cory, Dr. Steed, said the prayer before dinner and he graciously pleaded with our Heavenly Father that if it were my Grandma's time that she would be able to go peacefully.   Tears formed in my eyes as he asked for the spirit to be with my family in this difficult time.  He didn't have to do that and it really touched me.  I'm thankful for prayer.  That night I spent the evening alone and watching movies and enjoying the quiet house.

Friday morning I was woken up by my telephone ringing.  I knew it wasn't my alarm because it was too early for the alarm and I saw it was my Mom calling me.  Instinctively, I knew that my Grandma Wanda had died.  I answered the phone and my Mom apologized for calling so early but she wanted to let me know that Grandma died sometime early this morning.   Immediately I went to the computer to find a flight to Salt Lake City to be with my family.  Whilst I was trying to book a flight I had an emotional breakdown.  I cried, and cried, and cried.   After pulling myself together I paid the extremely high ticket price for a flight leaving at 1:53pm November 26, 2010.  I had approximately 10 minutes to get dressed, pack a bag, feed the animals, clean litter box, ask neighbors to watch animals, and put everything in my car.  Only because of a miracle was I able to get all of that done and get myself to the airport and not miss my flight.  Phew!  

I spent Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with my immediate family in Provo.  We stayed pretty close to the hotel because it had snowed and none of us wanted to drive in it.  It was nice to be able to just hang without running around.  One cool thing that happened was on Friday night when I was hanging in my hotel room I was flipping through the television channels and 'Anne of Avonlea' was on TV.  'Anne of Avonlea' is the second installment of the series 'Anne of Green Gables'.  Grandma Wanda introduced me to 'Anne of Green Gables' at her condo when I was 7 or 8 years old and I have loved it ever since.  I thought it was somewhat kismet that that specific movie would be on television the day after my Grandma died. 

Monday was the viewing/memorial for my Grandma Wanda.  I'm sorry but I hate open caskets.  I don't like the last visual image I see of someone whom I love dearly to be of them lying still in a box.  So, I mingled with family, and shed a few tears.  I didn't officially 'lose it' until the memorial began. 

The memorial was a forum for any family members who wanted to publicly share memories, or feelings, about Grandma Wanda.  One by one family members walked to the microphone to share how they felt about Grandma.  I was impressed by how many of her step-children got up and expressed their love for her and how they referred to her as 'Mom'.  Many of the grandchildren from both the Empey and Cannon sides stood sharing memories of Grandma.  With each experience shared I shed more and more tears.  I was very blessed to be able to listen to great stories, and to feel the love we all shared for one fabulous lady. After the stories were told we all ate Eclairs because they remind us (at least on the Empey side) of Grandma.  I went to a few of my 'cousins' from the Cannon side and introduced myself and thanked them for the wonderful words they said about Grandma.  I have some very attractive 'cousins' which, eh hem, we aren't blood related so please don't think I'm sick or anything!  Thank goodness for facebook because I am now 'friends' with a couple of them. :)

Tuesday was the day of the burial in Manti and then we were headed home.  I got up early, packed, put my dress on, and skyped some tissues from my hotel room.  We made the trip to Manti and arrived to a snowy cemetery.  Which side note: I had purchased tights at shopko and they didn't fit.  So I had to go with no stockings, just shoes.  Anyway...

The cemetery was beautiful and the weather was perfect.  Blue sky and not a cloud in the sky.  We stood by her burial plot while the pallbearers (all of her sons) carried her casket over.  My Grandpa(who is an awesome man) said a few words and then my Dad, her eldest son, dedicated the grave.  I cried some more.   We then said our goodbyes to Grandpa and our other family and got on the road to Las Vegas.

If I took anything away from this weekend it would be the love that my Grandparents share.  I know without a doubt that my Grandpa Emerson loves my Grandma Wanda to the moon and back, for time and all eternity.  I know that I want a marriage just like them and I will get it.  I know that they have a knowledge and testimony of our Savior, Jesus Christ. I know that my Grandma is in a much better place and can be healthy and busy doing the work of The Lord.  I know I will see her again.  Families can be together forever. 

'There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall
And the bells in the steeple too
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird
Is popping out to say "cuckoo"

Regretfully they tell us Cuckoo, cuckoo
But firmly they compel us Cuckoo, cuckoo
To say goodbye . . .to you

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, good night
I hate to go and leave this pretty sight

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, adieu
Adieu, adieu, to yieu and yieu and yieu

So long, farewell, au revoir, auf wiedersehen
I'd like to stay and taste my first champagne

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye
I leave and heave a sigh and say goodbye -- Goodbye!
I'm glad to go, I cannot tell a lie
I flit, I float, I fleetly flee, I fly
The sun has gone to bed and so must I

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye

GOOD BYE! '
-The Sound of Music (one of my Grandma's favorite movies)

Grandma Wanda 'regretfully they tell us to say good bye to you' 'I leave and heave a sigh and say goodbye--Goodbye!'  I know that it really isn't goodbye it's an 'I'll see you later'.  I love you, I'll miss you, and I'll anxiously await the time when I can see you again.  I love you!! 


Love, Andi











 

No comments:

Post a Comment