Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Norfolk, VA

So I realize that it has been quite some time since I last wrote on this handy dandy blog of mine...I'd like to catch you up on some fun things that have been happening to me.

For the 4th of July I decided I was going to fly to Norfolk,VA and visit my cousin/best friend(Angie) and her boyfriend(Reuben).  The distance from Las Vegas,NV to Norfolk, VA is 2,493 miles and it is quite the journey to get there.  The only airline that has a direct flight to Norfolk is Southwest and they seem to know that they are the only direct flight game in town and so they charge you an arm and a leg.  Needless to say I went the route of taking a flight that would take me to a connecting flight and then on to Norfolk.  I was able to get out of town on a United Airlines red eye flight departing Las Vegas at 11:15pm.  I flew from Las Vegas to Chicago where I landed at the outrageously huge Chicago O'Hare airport or as I like to refer to it 'hell on earth'. 

Arriving at Chicago, or any place for that matter, in the early pre-dawn hours of the day is not super fun.  I had slept the entire 4 hour flight from Vegas to Chicago and had to quickly get my wits about me to find my connecting flight because I had just over 1 hour to get there.  On my wonderful United airlines printed itinerary I knew that I need to get to the F gates.  I had deboarded the first section of my flight in the B gates.  I literally thought to myself "ok, A,B,C,D,E,F, holy crap!!  I'm in B and I have to go all the way to F" like the alphabet had anything to do with the actual location of my flight.  So I began walking, and walking, every once in awhile I would see a sign that would say "F gates" with the accompanying arrow pointing straight ahead.  Walking, and walking, "mmm there is a McDonalds...I'm hungry", walking, and walking.  When all of the sudden I get to the end of the road and I see a sign that reads..."Tram departs to F gates starting at 6am".  I looked at my itinerary and then back at the sign and immediately asked a couple to my right "What happens if I need the tram before 6 am because my flight leaves at 6:08 am."  Bless that poor couple because they didn't know what to do either, plus it's super early in the morning, and we are all exhausted.  I finally walked up to some of the workers at the Hudson bookstore and inquired as to how I may get to the F gates because the tram doesn't start until 6am and they told me to turn around, walk back the way I had just come, and take a right when I see a sign for the F gates.  All in all I'm fairly convinced I probably walked at least 1.5-2.0 miles that morning trying to find my damn(pardon my french) gate!  When I arrived at the gate and saw that I had time to get something to eat I quickly walked to the nearest Mcdonald's vendor and ordered some food.  I also have to mention the bathroom that was located near my departure gate...It was the coolest thing because it had automatic toilet covers on the toilet!!  You just had to wave your hand and it produced a brand new toilet seat cover.  It's the little things that seem to amuse me.  So let me try to wrap this up...United Airlines tells us that we are going to start boarding for our flight and we are walked out onto the tarmac where I see the smallest plane I have ever seen in my life.  I began to have a slight panic attack as I moved my concrete feet along the platform but I'm happy to say that once I boarded the plane I fell asleep and woke up in Norfolk,VA!!!!  To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment