Monday, August 30, 2010

Faith, Hope, and Charity 8/28 Restoring Honor Rally

My alarm went off at 5:15 am and I could hardly contain my excitement.  The morning that I had been waiting months for was finally upon me!  I took a shower and put my hair in a pony tail, did my make up, put on my red flag shirt, and headed out the door.  We had already made plans to check out of our hotel so we took our bags down to the front desk and asked ever so sweetly if we could keep our luggage in the bellman's storage while we were at the rally.  They told us that it would be no problem and then that is when I asked them why they had changed my room rate.  Oh, I need to explain.  When I had woken up I had received my folio via email and it showed my room total.  Which had an extra $20 added to it.  I inquired as to why it was different and they said that it wasn't different.  I, trying to remain calm, said that I could get my confirmation email right from my phone to prove that I was, in fact, correct and they were wrong.  Once the douche at the front desk knew that I wasn't playing around he said that there was not problem and that he would fix it.  What...were they hoping I didn't notice extra charges on my folio?  Seriously, I will never stay with their hotel again!!
Anyway...Kelli and I left headed towards the Rally.  We started walking down the street and came across a Starbucks where we purchased two bottles of water and 2 bagels.  We ate our bagels and started our long journey to the Lincoln Memorial.
When we arrived about 8am at the rally there were soo many people!!  More people than I have ever seen in my entire life.  We finally settled on a spot on a slight hill beneath some trees.  There was a big jumbo tron screen in front of us that was blocked by a bunch of trees but at least we were shaded.  The rally started right on time at 10:00am.  The crowd roared to life as Glenn Beck was introduced and the rally began.  We all stood and said the pledge of allegiance and sang along to the National Anthem.  I got kinda teary as we sang.  Ok, I'll admit, I got really teary.  Glenn Beck also was teary as he said 'build it and they will come" Once he said that we all applauded and shouted!   He also said that he has 'just received word from the media that there were more than 1,000 at the rally'  We started laughing hysterically at that comment.  He then said 'the Lincoln Memorial holds about 200,000 people, the field to my right holds about 250,000, not only are we full here, they are behind me, and they are full in the field, and I have just received word that we are filling up in front of the Washington Monument."  They estimated that there were 300,000-500,000 people there.  The rally was not focused on politics but it was focused on how this country needs to turn back to God.  We need to focus on Faith, Hope, and Charity.  We need to become better people.  The people that God knows we can be...we need to remember that we are THE promised land.  It was amazing...if you're able to watch any of it you need to.

After the rally we walked a few blocks and hailed a cab back to the hotel.  Once we were at the hotel we got a drink and we relaxed for a bit in the lobby.  We got our luggage and walked to the Subway restaurant down the street where we had lunch.  After lunch we grabbed a taxi and headed towards Arlington,VA.  We checked into our hotel and we called Jason.  He came and picked us up and took us to the Arlington National Cemetery where we saw the tomb of the unknown soldier, where I cried some more.  We saw the changing of the guards at the soldiers tomb and then we had to leave because they closed.  It was a beautiful, sacred place and I am blessed to have been able to visit.  From the moment we left we went to the Lincoln Memorial and took many pictures.  We then drove back to Virginia and ate dinner at IHOP.  After dinner Jason dropped us off at the hotel.  I didn't want to say goodbye.  He is such a good guy.  I'm tired of meeting good, date-able, people and having them live so far away.  I guess that's my life.

Saturday night into Sunday morning we slept and relaxed.  Sunday we just took our time getting ready and ate dinner at Chili's and then took the airport shuttle.  The flight back home was uneventful on both ends.  D.C to Newark and then Newark to Las Vegas.  The flight to Vegas was pretty much empty and they were soo good to us.  They even fed us dinner and gave us headsets for free.  It was a good, un-turbulent flight.    I was grateful to get home but sad at the same time.  Back to life, back to reality.

p.s I think I have scared Rexburg off.   I wrote him a couple of emails from D.C and it has been more than 3 days since I last heard from him.  Again, I have awesome luck!!    Maybe, I'm wrong but I kind of think I'm not.  I'll let you know.  


Have a great night!! I love you all!!


Love, Andi 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like such an amazing trip! The rally...I would have like to have been there. And...Rexburg?!? I need details!

    ReplyDelete